Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chapter 4: In Which I Revive the Blog

Well hello there, internet. It seems that what happens to a lot of bloggers has also fell upon me. I started something, got very excited about sharing my life with the blogging world, and then my life got in the way. It was a responsibility I was more than willing to put down in the face of new ones: lesson plans, organizing a classroom, getting to know new coworkers and students, grading, and still maintaining my self-inflicted housewife duties. 


Since I started teaching, I have learned a lot about balancing my social, work, and private lives. I have learned how to organize, how to plan, and how to maintain good relationships. I have learned a lot about discipline. I have learned so many lessons about teenagers that I will hopefully look back on when I am a parent of one myself. I have also learned that I can't do it all. My wonderfully helpful husband does the dishes every night, without fail. I still make the dinner and do the grocery shopping, but after the meal, I put my feet up and enjoy that I have a partner to share some of the load of meal preparation. 


I have also learned to be grateful for the slow moments--the times when I can read for fun, when I can sit and think to myself and daydream about our future. I am appreciative of the time I have right now to sit and write (though in all honesty I feel slightly ashamed that it has been so long since I've taken the time to do so).


The slow moments are so pleasant and desperately necessary. Like my dreams of being the ever-ready housewife (complete with apron, heels, pearls, and a masters degree), they often need to be carefully edited, wisely chosen, and wholeheartedly enjoyed. I choose to take a moment to rejuvenate myself now and hope that I can make this effort much more often in the future.


In other news, two big dreams came true in the last few moments of 2011. I bought a serger from an ad on craigslist (90 bucks, only used three times, like new!) and I ordered a dress form online. It will arrive on Wednesday and the UPS tracker thing tells me it weighs 20 lbs, fun fact! I bought material this afternoon for two dresses. I can't wait to get started. My other dreams of wearing dresses as often as humanly possible and sewing more often may also come true with these two new additions to our tiny apartment! 


Over Christmas, Aaron and I also got a cat, which we named Flannery, but I can tell you more about her later. She likes to walk over the keyboard when she wants attention. I hope, on your part, you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years' celebration, and I hope to have something else for you to read sometime soon.


Until then,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment